Wednesday 30 October 2019

Module 6 - Chapter 10 - Converting Your Design into Embroidery

I took the three panels from my chosen design and enlarged them on the computer. Printing out onto A4 paper, I needed to tape the sheets together to produce 3 panels, together equalling A1 in size. This gave me an idea of the size of each are of my design, and I was able to trace off each separate area to produce a pattern, enabling me to know exactly what shape to make each piece of embroidery.

I looked back at my various samples that I've constructed throughout Module 6, and chose techniques that I felt would best represent each of the papers that I had decorated and used within my paper designs.

For the first technique, I printed and sponged some chiffon in purple acrylic and thermochromic ink. The images below show the effect of heat on the thermochromic colour.

06.10.01


Then I cut small lozenges from various shades of the chiffon, sandwiched between layers of aquafilm and zig zag stitched in random wavy lines in various shades of variegated machine thread. When the aquafilm was dissolved, it gave a lovely, see-through lacy effect for one of my 'water' panels.

06.10.02

For the second 'water' panel, I collected a selection of old pairs of denim jeans of varying shades of blue, then sponge rollered them with wavy lines using acrylic paint.

06.10.03

06.10.04

These were then machine stitched in wavy lines using white thread and whip stitch.

06.10.05

Blue polyester chiffon was then disperse dyed with dark indigo wavy lines.


06.10.06

This was then stitched in a series of  wavy lines using a blue variegated machine thread, applied to bondaweb, and then cut to form wave shapes.


06.10.07

A shiny bright blue polyester dress lining fabric was stitched over the top of this in black thread, blocks of circular stitching. This was then cut away to form wave shapes on top of the layer below.

06.10.08

The third technique was to depict the 'reeds' panels. For this, I formed a grid of straight lines on a heavy 'Romeo' soluble film, then over-stitched with row upon row of vertical zig-zag stitch, leaving gaps in places, and stitching at slight angles to depict movement. I used a large selection of variegated threads, and finished with a few rows of metallic gold to add a bit of  'wisdom and knowledge'!

06.10.09


No comments:

Post a Comment